NORFACE (New Opportunities for Research Funding Agency Cooperation in Europe) is a common action in the area of research, which combines the efforts of research funding agencies from European countries and Canada. Its mission is to support research in social sciences and offer unique opportunities for building new networks of international research collaboration in this field. It was launched in 2004 under the European Commission 6th Framework Programme’s ERA-NET scheme. The National Science Centre joined NORFACE in July 2012.
The main share of the effort in the action to further the above mentioned goals is channelled in joint research programmes, which bring together participants from a number of countries, via their respective research funding agencies, and allow them to pursue comprehensive transnational research on some core problems and challenges of contemporary Western societies.
The NCN joined NORFACE in 2012 and took part in the organisation of a call for proposals on Welfare State Futures.
Calls for proposals:
National Science Centre together with the NORFACE network is pleased to announce a new call for project proposals on the topic of Democratic governance in a turbulent age. Each project must be composed of at least three research teams consisting of eligible researchers based at host institutions in three or more different NORFACE countries participating in the call.
Countries participating in the call: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Ireland, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.
Projects including Polish teams may last 24 or 36 months.
Draft timetable for applications
- Deadline for outline proposal submission: 19th February 2019, 14.00 CET
- Notification of accepted pre-proposals: May 2019
- Deadline for full proposal submission: September 2019
- Funding decisions: March 2020
- Programme text
- Call for proposals
- National and Regional Eligibility Requirements
- FAQ Outline Proposal Stage
- Guide for proposers
- Application Template
Information for Polish applicants
- We strongly encourage all applicants to read information on rules of participation and eligible costs included in the Annex to NCN Council’s Resolution on funding granted within calls for proposals for international research projects (UNISONO).
- On the full proposal stage Polish applicants must submit their national applications in the ZSUN/OSF submission system. The application will include a budget that should be calculated according to the Annex to NCN Council’s Resolution on funding granted within calls for proposals for international research projects (UNISONO).
- If one international project includes partners from two or more different Polish Host Institutions, these institutions apply as a group of projects. Each entity within the group has a separate budget, but the limit on the remuneration applies to the group as a whole (please see UNISONO). Please note that groups of projects have higher limits on the remuneration.
- Budget of the Polish part of the research project in the ZSUN/OSF system should be given in PLN: 1 EUR= 4,2024 PLN.
National Science Centre together with the NORFACE network is pleased to announce a new call for project proposals on the topic of Dynamics of Inequality Across the Life-course: structures and processes (DIAL). Each project must be composed of at least three research teams consisting of eligible researchers based at host institutions in three or more different NORFACE countries participating in the call.
The timetable for applications is:
- Outline Proposals to be submitted: 30th of March 2016, 13.00 CET
- Shortlisted applicants to submit Full Proposals: 12th of October 2016, 13.00 CET
Countries participating in the call: Austria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Lithuania, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom
For more information please see NORFACE DIAL call.
Welfare states are at a critical turning point. The development of welfare systems was one of the defining characteristics of the 20th century, especially in Europe. However, in times of change, it will be important to re-think ‘the welfare state’ with a programme of innovative research designed to ask, and answer, fundamental questions about the design, delivery and experience of welfare in the 21st century.
This call covers five themes of research on Welfare State Futures:
- People and the welfare state.
- Inequalities, diversity and welfare states.
- Rethinking the economics of the welfare state.
- The future politics of the welfare state.
- Shifting responsibilities for welfare.
Research team: composed of research teams from at least 3 countries participating in the call
Countries participating in the call
Austria, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Sweden, United Kingdom
Project duration: up to 3 years
NCN budget for the call: € 830 000
Outline proposals application deadline: 16th of April 2013
Full proposal application deadline: 16th of January 2014
Final results: July 2014
For more information please click here.
Polish project awarded within the call:
- dr Paweł Kaczmarczyk, Centre of Migration Research, University of Warsaw
- prof. Helga de Valk – Project Leader (Netherlands Interdisciplinary Demographic Institute, the Netherlands),
- dr Hein de Haas (Oxford University International Migration Institute, UK),
- prof. Lucinda Fonseca (Universidade de Lisboa, Portugal).
dr Malwina Gębalska, tel: +48 12 341 9159