SONATA: PhD holder grants (2-7 years after PhD award)
SONATA is a funding opportunity intended to support the Principal Investigator in conducting innovative basic research, using advanced research equipment and/or an original methodology.
Principal Investigator: a person about to embark on career in research with a doctoral degree obtained within 2-7 years of submission of the proposal.
Projects carried out by research teams must consist of no more than one researcher holding a habilitation degree or the title of professor and on condition that they are collaborators from an institution other than the host institution of the Principal Investigator.
Duration: 12, 24 or 36 months
- proposals from within NCN Panels, involving basic research,
- scientific excellence and the innovative nature of the research project,
- the research portfolio of the Principal Investigator,
- impact on the development of the research discipline,
- commitment of the host institution,
- justification of the planned costs.
Evaluation procedure: 2-step merit-based evaluation by peer review panels and external reviewers; applicants qualified to the second stage of evaluation will be invited for an interview carried out in Polish or in English
Researchers may apply for funding of costs relevant necessary and directly connected to the proposed research, including:
- Personnel (including scholarships pre-doctoral researchers and post-doc positions)
- Research equipment: up to 500 000 PLN (ca. 119 000 EUR) for projects in the fields of life sciences and physical sciences and engineering, and up to 150 000 PLN (ca. 35 000 EUR) in the field of arts, humanities and social sciences
- Travel and subsistence costs
- Other: publication costs, collective investigators, devices and software, etc.
- Overheads: up to 40%
There is no cap on funding for an individual project.
Application: short project description must be written in Polish, full project description must be provided in English
Tel: 0048 12 341 9000