MAESTRO: advanced grants
MAESTRO is a funding opportunity designed for advanced researchers wanting to conduct pioneering research, including interdisciplinary research which is important for the development of science. Projects within this funding scheme should surpass the current state of knowledge, lead to the creation of a new paradigm, or forge pathways to new frontiers in that field.
Principal Investigator an advanced researcher. An advanced researcher is a person holding a doctoral degree who in the past 10 years prior to the submission of the proposal has:
- published at least five publications in reputable Polish and/or foreign scientific journals,
- supervised the implementation of at least two completed research projects selected within domestic or international call for proposals,
- meets at least three of the following criteria:
- has published at least one monograph,
- has given presentations at well-established international conferences,
- has been awarded an international prize or award,
- is or was a member of recognised associations or international scientific organisations,
- was a member of a scientific committee of at least one recognised international conference,
- has other significant scientific achievements,
- and in the case of research activities in art – a person who:
- has created works of art of international importance or significance to Polish culture,
- has played an active part in international exhibitions, festivals as well as artistic, musical, theatrical or film events.
Duration: 36, 48 or 60 months
- proposals from within NCN Panels, involving basic research,
- the research portfolio of the Principal Investigator,
- scientific excellence and the innovative nature of the research project,
- impact on the development of the research discipline,
- commitment of the host institution,
- justification of the planned costs.
Project team must include at least one investigator with a PhD and at least one doctoral candidate must be employed in the project for at least 36 months.
Evaluation procedure: 2-step merit-based evaluation by peer review panels and external reviewers, applicants qualified to the second stage of evaluation will be invited for an interview carried out in English
Researchers may apply for funding of costs relevant necessary and directly connected to the proposed research, including:
- Personnel (including scholarships for pre-doctoral researchers and post-doc positions)
- Research equipment: up to 500,000 PLN (ca. 119,000 EUR) for projects in the fields of life sciences and physical sciences and engineering, and up to 150,000 PLN (ca. 35,000 EUR) in the field of arts, humanities and social sciences
- Travel and subsistence costs
- Other: publication costs, collective investigators, devices and software, etc.
- Overheads: up to 40%
There is no cap on funding for an individual project.
Application: both short and full project descriptions must be submitted in English
Tel: 0048 12 341 9000
Detailed information on the MAESTRO funding scheme (Polish only)